[Gllug] ADSL problem

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sun Feb 27 21:42:01 UTC 2005

On Sunday 27 Feb 2005 21:28 pm, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
<SNIP>

> Chris - thanks for going into so much detail. I just want to run this
> by you before I buy an ADSL Faceplate Splitter from Solwise. I have a
> cheapo BT answerphone that, since I got ADSL, does not work
> correctly. The problem is that if the caller leaves a message, their
> voice is overlayed with a high pitch noise (a bit like feedback over
> a speaker).
> Will buying a microfilter probably fix this? From the info you gave
> I'm guessing "yes", but no harm checking before I fork out.

That sounds very much like you need a replacement microfilter - we had a
lightening strike here last summer which blew out a microfilter
(literally, bits of it melted on the wall) and had exactly the same
problem on phonecalls until it was replaced. Luckily, because the
filter blew up, the surge didn't hit the ADSL router and enter the
network!

> (I'm from Yorkshire :).

That's no excuse!

Dylan