[Gllug] Sluggishness and confusion

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Thu Feb 10 17:37:31 UTC 2005

Peter Childs wrote:

> Sorry miss type 8.0.1 is what I meant... I read the postgres Debian
> dev list and there where quite a few moans that Postgres 8.0 beta and
> release candidates were not being debised even in experimental.

If the Debian packages simply dumped software on your harddrive then,
yes, you might have a point.

Debian packages try harder.  The postgres package, for example, includes
an upgrade facility that's required for major version updates.  The
package will take your old version of postgres, back up your databases,
dump the databases out, replace your old version of postgres and then
reload your databases for you.  If it screws up then you have a
downgrade path.

Last time I checked the RPM package didn't do this kind of thing.

Mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk