[Gllug] Sluggishness and confusion

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 18:56:16 UTC 2005

Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> Peter Childs wrote:
>
>> Sorry miss type 8.0.1 is what I meant... I read the postgres Debian
>> dev list and there where quite a few moans that Postgres 8.0 beta and
>> release candidates were not being debised even in experimental.
>

> If the Debian packages simply dumped software on your harddrive then,
> yes, you might have a point.
>
> Debian packages try harder.  The postgres package, for example,
> includes an upgrade facility that's required for major version
> updates.  The package will take your old version of postgres, back up
> your databases, dump the databases out, replace your old version of
> postgres and then reload your databases for you.  If it screws up then
> you have a downgrade path.
>
> Last time I checked the RPM package didn't do this kind of thing.
>
> Mart.

    Another good reason for not using it when you want control. If your
running a large database you need to know where and what your database
is doing. If you don't care then fine but If you do then source installs
are the way ahead.
    Plus now so many packages have auto update facilites (like Firefox
and Thunderbird) you soon discover how to break debian.

Peter Childs
Still uses Debian and likes it but can see the problems.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk