[Gllug] pci ethernet ordering

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Feb 11 09:46:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 08:54:09AM +0000, John wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 17:34 +0000, gllug at dormon.com wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > Just a quickie, I stuck some new dual gig nic's in few dell 1650's
> > yesterday, everything was going well and then in a moment of madness I
> > thought "I know, why don't I run kudzu, and let it sort it out"
>
> One of the less endearing features of Linux.
> The numbering depends on the order in which the PCI bus is scanned at
> boot time. So can change with versions of Linux.

This is easily fixed using either udev or the ifrename tool.  Either of
those will let you associate arbitrary names with your nics, keyed to
the mac address.  For example, we have some key routers at work with 8
network ports bonded into 4 pairs and I didn't want that being messed
up, so I used udev to rename the nics to ether0, ether1 etc and gave the
bonded interfaces names that reflected their purpose.

You can give interfaces any name you want but I went with etherN for the
physical cards because there are some braindead userspace tools whose
idea of checking that the interface represents an ethernet device by
(I kid you not) checking the first three letters of the name.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.