[Gllug] Gigabyte + AMD AMIBIOS upgrade

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 19:52:43 UTC 2005

Hello,
   Can anyone please give advice on upgrading the BIOS on a Gigabyte
GA-7VEML motherboard. There is a 256K flash ROM, and I have saved the
original BIOS to floppy as a 256K file using the Q-flash facility already
available in the original BIOS. This should also be able to load a new BIOS
from a file on a floppy.
   The file provided on the Gigabyte website is a 483K .exe file, and it
seems to be a package to install a new BIOS from a running 32bit M$ windoze
OS. There does not appear to be a 256K file.
   There should also be a live update facility which will run in M$ and
update the BIOS online.
   I am trying to avoid the need to load 32bit M$ windoze just to update the
BIOS, but I have not found any suitable 256K file, and the 483K file does
not appear to be what is needed. The reason for upgrading is that the AMD
Athlon processor and memory do not appear to be detected correctly, so clock
rates appear to be incorrect.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk