[Gllug] Tax returns on linux

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 19:49:12 UTC 2005

Alain Williams wrote:
>One problem with this was the UK Government portal where you are able
>to submit tax forms online. AFIR you could only do so from a M$ machine
>since they used proprietary M$ protocols. I don't know if this is
>still the case.

There is an excellent article written by David Chan which deals with
this subject in issue 32 of Linux User and Developer
magazine. Basically, under Linux you could submit a tax return provided
you chose to use ID and password rather than digital signature. The
governments own GGSec signature library was Windows-only and depended
heavily on Microsoft XML libraries. The update to
fix this problem and make the site work using off the shelf XML
signature libraries was due some time in 2004. I presume therefore that this is now no longer a problem.
Some parts of the Government Gateway such as CAP grant applications used to require  digital
signatures, but fortunately? for taxpayers this was not essential.

There is an article in issue 44 of Linux User and Developer magazine
by frank T Pohlmann about PayThyme and payrollBash. This outlines accountancy and software standards
that have to be satisfied for IR payroll approval.
Regards,
Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk