[Gllug] ADSL problem

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 08:20:20 UTC 2005

Re: the phone occasionally doing a sort of whimper as if its trying to ring.

My phones also occasionally give a little ping occasionally (no more than once
a day to my knowledger and generally in the evening).  I heard somewhere that BT
have some kind of automated line-test routine that checks the line resistance/
capacitance periodically, and I assumed that it is this that produces the
odd pings on the phone (presumambly due to a very short transient pulse of some
sort on the line?).   Of course, this could be complete nonsense !!

Looking at the diagram of the phone set up with the microfilter, does the
problem go away if the phone is connected directly to the socket rather than
via the answerphone?

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk