[Gllug] skype

Doug Winter doug at isotoma.com
Wed Feb 2 12:10:53 UTC 2005

Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
> Ooops, forgot to say that YOU would provide her with the SPA-1000
> preconfigured and all she would have to do is plug it into an electrical
> outlet and her broadband connection.

Yeah, well, it's all working already though with skype without any extra
kit at all.  I'd have trouble persuading her to use this thing,
especially when I'd need to post another one to my cousin in Australia
to whom my mum spends most of her time on the phone.  Oh, and my
brothers would need one each too.

Ultimately this is a network effect, and the winner is the network with
the most people on it.  I reckon unless a major player comes in soon
(google?), skype is going to be it.  Aa number of my clients use it, all
my family use it and a lot of friends use it.  It's hard to imagine
anything else gaining that penetration.

doug.

--
doug at isotoma.com  /  Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting
Tel: 020 76350943 / Mobile: 07879 423002 / Fax: 020 79006980
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk