[Gllug] skype

Robert P. McKenzie rmckenzi at rpmdp.com
Wed Feb 2 13:14:24 UTC 2005

Doug Winter wrote:
> Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
>
>> Ooops, forgot to say that YOU would provide her with the SPA-1000
>> preconfigured and all she would have to do is plug it into an
>> electrical outlet and her broadband connection.
>

> Yeah, well, it's all working already though with skype without any extra
> kit at all.  I'd have trouble persuading her to use this thing,
> especially when I'd need to post another one to my cousin in Australia
> to whom my mum spends most of her time on the phone.  Oh, and my
> brothers would need one each too.
>
> Ultimately this is a network effect, and the winner is the network with
> the most people on it.  I reckon unless a major player comes in soon
> (google?), skype is going to be it.  Aa number of my clients use it, all
> my family use it and a lot of friends use it.  It's hard to imagine
> anything else gaining that penetration.
>
> doug.

There's no reason you have to external devices, I use softphones
(currently) with my asterisk server.  Anywhere I can get open wifi
access I can fire up the softphone client (FireFly) and I'm on the PBX
ready to make and receive calls.

--
Robert P. McKenzie                 |   GammaRay Technical Services Ltd
rmckenzi at rpmdp.com                 |             rob at gammaray-tech.com
http://www.uk-experience.com       |      http://www.gammaray-tech.com

Ecademy Profile:   http://www.ecademy.com/account.php?op=view&id=64014
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk