[Gllug] Debian on Dell PowerEdge 2850

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at lineone.net
Thu Feb 17 14:05:05 UTC 2005

Check if the server has onboard broadcom or intel NIC's. Every driver
i've used for broadcom ethernet under linux has been buggy, particularly
under high load. Lock ups, kernel panics or the kernel takes the
ethernet card down due to IRQ problems. These problems generally occur
under high load or after a few days of running.

If it uses an intel card it will be fine, if it's broadcom i'd save time
and just install an additional NIC.

Matt.

PS have tested opensource & proprietary drivers as recommended by
dell/broadcom under both suse and redhat.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk