[Gllug] Wireless networking on Linux

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Thu Feb 24 11:43:19 UTC 2005

My setup is currently as follows.

      --------     ----------       -------       -----------
      |      |     |        |       |     |       |         |
  ----| ADSL |-----| Ubuntu |-------| Hub |-------| Windows |
      |      |     |        |       |     |       |         |
      --------     ----------       -------       -----------

                                       |          -------
                                       |----------| PS2 |
                                                  -------

With the PS2 on a different floor. I have purchased a new machine for my son
to do his school
work etc. which resides in the same room as the PS2. I want my setup to be
along the lines of
this.

      --------     ----------       -------       -----------
      |      |     |        |       |     |       |         |
  ----| ADSL |-----| Ubuntu |-------| Hub |-------| Windows |
      |      |     |        |       |     |       |         |
      --------     ----------       -------       -----------

                             ------------       -------
                             | Windows2 |-------| Hub |-------| PS2 |
                             |          |       |     |       -------
                             ------------       -------

The question is should the wireless network card (WMP54G) go into the Linux
box , with the
Windows2 and PS2 boxes going into a hub/switch with an access point connected
or should I put
the wireless card into the Windows2 box and use ICS on Windows. Does the
access point need to go
into a hub or can it go directly into a network card on either machine?

I have all the hardware I need for either configuration.

Thanks

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk