[Gllug] Sluggishness and confusion

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Fri Feb 11 11:48:46 UTC 2005

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>Last time I checked the RPM package didn't do this kind of thing.

As I'm sure you know, there's no such thing as "the RPM package". There
are countless postgres RPM packages, created by various distributions.
To which of those are you referring? I don't actually know how many (if
any) do the backup first, but it's certainly possible to do with RPM.

Whether it's desirable is another matter, as it would have to make
assumptions about the location of the backup, etc. Some things just
can't be done reliably in an automated way. You can make informed
guesses (which is what I assume Debian does) and you'll probably be
right 95% of the time. But that doesn't make it always the right thing
to do.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk