[Gllug] skype

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 05:08:14 UTC 2005

David Abbishaw wrote:

>Total agree!!!   Stick with something that's SIP compatible and you wont go
>wrong.  Or at least try Firefly & Aterisk as it works great, well only in
>windows.
>

>From: "Russell Howe" <rhowe at wiss.co.uk> on Thu, 3 Feb 2005 00:02:49 +0000
>
>Replying to my own post here, but a thought occured to me
>

>>As for VoIP stuff... sure, skype works, but it's proprietary.
>>

>Skype is also done by the Kazaa people, ne?
>
>Kazaa comes bundled with spyware/adware/assorted crap (or certainly used
>to). Anyone who even considers bundling such malware with their software
>earns themselves a big black mark in my book.
>
>I'm not saying Skype ships with such stuff (I doubt it does), but that the
>people who produce it have some serious ethical questions to answer.

    The problem with SIP and Astrax etc is that they are too complicated
and not easy to set up and use.
Skype has good sound quality and its man in the street proff.
    Hense Skype already has more users than these alternatives. Its like
why Jabber has not taken off, Give the user too much choice and they are
scared. Its also why Windows still has such a large home user share. Its
servered to people on plates and they think this is it.

Peter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk