[Gllug] Serverside Word editing

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 14:46:01 UTC 2005

Luke Hopkins wrote:

>No, really we do. I don't particularly like it either, but its integral
>to a browser based application.
>The web server will be on the same 100Mbit LAN as the clients,

If they're on the same LAN, why not just serve a file://///server/share/directory/file.doc link to the clients, they click on that, up pops Word with the document, they make their changes, and close Word. IE will probably even embed Word in the browser for this scenario. Word will even take care of the locking of the files

PS: Note to self - switch HTML off in T'bird.

--
Russell Howe
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk