[Gllug] 3 Ware RAID (not)

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Fri Jan 14 14:30:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 02:20:59PM -0000, Ken Smith wrote:
> I had a configuration with a 3-Ware ATA RAID controller with 3 Maxtor 40Gb
> disks in RAID 5 running a RedHat EL system. The second disk began to log
> errors and just in case I started an extra backup. While the backup was
> running the array failed completely. I/O timeout messages were showing on
> the console.

I've had problems with old IDE cables [ie, probably not up to spec for
UDMA66] and IDE bus timeout errors. New round cables fixed this.

Are you running smartd? Does the IDE RAID controller present the
different drives as separate physical devices under /dev? If so, what
does smartctl -h /dev/blah report?

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk