[Gllug] Linux as a Primary Domain Controller

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 13:04:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 09:20:52AM -0000, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> Can you tell me if it is possible to use Linux as a PDC for a windows network?

Samba version 2 & 3 can act as an old style NT PDC for al current
versions of Windows, though XP requires a couple of registry changes.
Samba version 3 can do some Active Directory membership.

See http://www.samba.org/

> I have a Linux box at home and a windows machine, I have to keep windows
> otherwise my wife will never let me buy any gadgets again, ever :-) ). I am
> considering buying a third machine for my children to use and would like to
> have centrally maintained account information, this machine would also have to
> be windows because of their school work. I already have personal windows
> folders cross mounted from the Linux home directories. Also can I tie this in
> with LDAP in any way, this is only because I want to play about with LDAP :-)

Samba-LDAP tie-in can be done in one of two ways:

1) Samba PDC machine uses LDAP pam and nss modules for IDs, groups
membership, etc. Domain passwords are still stored seperately in
smbpasswd on the PDC machine, so not good for a large network.

2) All Samba information in LDAP. This is now possible in Samba
version 3, so have a look at the docs on the website.

Last time I looked it was quite a bit of work for only two machines,
though it will get you through and lot of Samba and LDAP knowledge.

|       John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com        |
| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk