[Gllug] OT: Huygens probe on the surface and still operating

Benedikt Heinen beh at icemark.net
Mon Jan 17 19:31:29 UTC 2005

>> No, I understand that.  I mean that in its brief life it was supposed
>> to have taken several hundred photographs.  But even including
>> composites it's not possible that they can have released more than
>> about 20.  Where are the others!?
> Well, its been said that in the past ESA arent great at publicity, they
> only have about 20 guys in that dept.
>
> its quite likley that they will never give out more photos

There is, of course, a second alternative -- shooting several hundred
photos doesn't mean you get several hundred photos of usable quality. the
edges of some pictures looked like cloudy areas - I don't think there's
too much point releasing photos that show just fog...  (or might not be
the greatest choice of focussed area).  As the probe is so far away, in
this case, the computer alone chooses the picture and exposure - there is
no chance an operator on earth might be able to control what pictures are
being taken (especially during the probe's descent) - there simply isn't
enough time.

The Mars robots can just stay still and wait for an operator response
(even if it it would take hours) - Hubble can probably pretty much
instantenously respond to user's signals, since it is so close to us.

   Benedikt

--
 	It seems I think I am, therefore it seems I am, I think!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk