[Gllug] Linux as a Primary Domain Controller

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 09:38:57 UTC 2005

John Hearns wrote:

>>Can you tell me if it is possible to use Linux as a PDC for a windows
>>network?
>>I have a Linux box at home and a windows machine, I have to keep windows
>>otherwise my wife will never let me buy any gadgets again, ever :-) ). I
>>am
>>considering buying a third machine for my children to use and would like
>>have centrally maintained account information, this machine would also
>>have to
>>be windows because of their school work. I already have personal windows
>>folders cross mounted from the Linux home directories. Also can I tie this
>>in
>>with LDAP in any way, this is only because I want to play about with LDAP
>>:-)
>>

>I'm out of touch with windows domains these days,
>I have enough Linux boxes to play with
>(currently being seranaded by 514 dual Opterons on full song).
>
>Windows Active Directory is a flavour of LDAP, but with proprietary bits and
>bobs added. I'm sure there's an expert on the GLLUG list who can tell us
>exactly how they differ.
>
>Learning about LDAP is good.

    Whats the best place to gain Learning about LDAP, as I have a LDAP
system for passwords and want to do more with it, Like shared address
books for Thunderbird, etc. But it seams very complicated and neither or
us at work understand it more than enough to beat it when it breaks....
I would like to connect it to samba so that the small number of windows
machines we have (mostly 98) can communicate with it, These Win98 boxes
are used for running software thats not available for Linux like
Datavoice, Radio Programming, and Accounts. The only problem is that the
win98 boxes regully stop being able to stop talking to Samba and need
rebooting (Thats Win98 for you) I think this is all down to bad Samba
config however.

Peter Childs
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk