[Gllug] Routing question

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Mon Jan 10 11:12:01 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:52:30PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 19:06 +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> >
> > >My mail/squid server - on the wired network - seems to think that
> > >everything that comes from the wireless universe in fact comes from the
> > >gateway - see the header from an outbound email below.

> > Well, yes, everything from the wireless universe _does_ come from the
> > gateway.  I may be misunderstanding what you mean.
>
> Err, yes, I know what you mean, I didn't explain it too clearly.
>
> I mean it seems to have difficulty in ascertaining the real IP address
> of the connecting system.

It's just a hunch, but it looks like your wireless router thing is doing SNAT
/Masquerade for its wireless hosts, even though the address is routable it
is still changing thier source ip's to be it's own,

this is what you would expect for the default on an average out of the box
wireless router as many people will just plug it into the cable modem and
expect the net to magically work.

Ian

--
/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk