[Gllug] Routing question

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 20:57:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 11:12 +0000, Ian Norton wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:52:30PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> > > Well, yes, everything from the wireless universe _does_ come from the
> > > gateway.  I may be misunderstanding what you mean.
> >
> > Err, yes, I know what you mean, I didn't explain it too clearly.
> >
> > I mean it seems to have difficulty in ascertaining the real IP address
> > of the connecting system.
>
> It's just a hunch, but it looks like your wireless router thing is doing SNAT
> /Masquerade for its wireless hosts, even though the address is routable it
> is still changing thier source ip's to be it's own,
>
> this is what you would expect for the default on an average out of the box
> wireless router as many people will just plug it into the cable modem and
> expect the net to magically work.

Hmmm, I built this thing myself out of an old Pentium 166 and the Host-
AP driver (You can see a pic at http://junkcomputers.blogspot.com). I
did reconfigure the setup a bit a few weeks ago, but I am pretty certain
I didn't introduce *that*.

I'll have a closer look though.

--
Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk>