[Gllug] HSBC problems!

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 12:57:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:28:04AM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Ben Fitzgerald writes:
>
> >Have to wait and see what they say caused the problem. Anyone know
> >what they run, out of interest? I'd imagine they must have several
> >legacy systems?
>
> *Every* company has several legacy systems, where the precise definition
> varies depending on who you speak to. Microsoft consider anything running
> on Unix to be a legacy system, for example. Others feel the same about
> anything running on DOS/Windows. Most would class a mainframe as a legacy
> system... unless they're one of those that don't. It's a pointless term
> that has no real meaning in the IT world.

True, it is a broad term but it does have a meaning in the IT
world - many people use it. If it were meaningless it would not be in
common use. I've heard it many times, though I'd agree that there are
different perspectives. Obviously something you feel quite stongly about.
What term would you use instead to describe systems that are still in
operation but effectively unsupported (or soon to be unsupported) by
the vendor?

> IIRC, most ATM networks use OS/2 (or increasingly Windows) in the
> machines themselves, and Tandem at the backend.

Hmm. couldn't find much of worth on google about tandem. Is it a unix
varient? Off topic I know but I am curious. :)

Ben

--
Registered Linux user number 339435
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk