[Gllug] Name server software?

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Jan 4 16:44:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> I've come to that point in my evolution to sysadmin that I must get to
> grips with DNS.  I've put this off for a long time because it always
> seemed so damn arcane and complicated.  Now is the time.
>
> So, which name server software should I use?  It needs to be free
> software (so no DJB-ware) and support wildcard domain names.

Aside from being Free and supporting wildcards what else do you want?

Do you want is to be authoritative only?

Bind is what most people use because it's simple and it works well. I'm
looking at MyDNS for authoritative only services in addition to BIND9

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £21.50 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk