[Gllug] Using a DVB-T card with Linux

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Jan 30 18:28:22 UTC 2005

Does anyone here use a DVB-T card with Linux?  If so, can you tell me
where to find initial documentation about what kernel modules are needed
to drive it?  I've found heaps of documentation but all of it seems to
assume you'll just know by instinct what kernel drivers are required.

I've bought a Nebula DVB-T card after seeing it recommended for use with
Linux, and I've shoved it in a computer.  The system seems to see it
very happily and drivers have been loaded as follows:

via_ircc               20368  0
irda                  167616  1 via_ircc
crc_ccitt               2432  1 irda
snd_via82xx            26660  0
snd_ac97_codec         59652  1 snd_via82xx
gameport                4736  1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart         7296  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi            23204  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          7944  1 snd_rawmidi
via_rhine              19720  0
mii                     4992  1 via_rhine
crc32                   4608  1 via_rhine
bttv                  143180  1 bt878
video_buf              20484  1 bttv
i2c_algo_bit            9096  1 bttv
v4l2_common             6400  1 bttv
btcx_risc               4744  1 bttv
i2c_core               22416  2 bttv,i2c_algo_bit
videodev                9856  1 bttv
snd_bt87x              13640  0
snd_pcm                85896  2 snd_via82xx,snd_bt87x
snd_timer              23300  1 snd_pcm
snd                    51940  8
snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_bt87x,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               9824  5 btaudio,via82cxxx_audio,sound,bttv,snd
snd_page_alloc         11144  3 snd_via82xx,snd_bt87x,snd_pcm

However, no user space programs seem to be able to address the card.
They all expect to open /dev/dvb/adapter0/* and every file in that
directory gives "No such device" when you try to open it.  To my mind
that means that the kernel module which would provide the device is not
loaded, but I'm buggered if I can find any documentation anywhere which
tells you which module this is.

Can anyone provide me with any good pointers please?

TIA,
John

P.S  It's a Sarge box running 2.6.8 kernel.  Stock Debian configuration
but re-compiled for the exact CPU (Nehemiah).

--
John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk