[Gllug] Using a DVB-T card with Linux

Julian Somers lists at bigpip.com
Sun Jan 30 18:51:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 06:28:22PM +0000, John Winters wrote:
> Does anyone here use a DVB-T card with Linux?  If so, can you tell me
> where to find initial documentation about what kernel modules are needed
> to drive it?  I've found heaps of documentation but all of it seems to
> assume you'll just know by instinct what kernel drivers are required.

This readme for the BT878 cards was included in the linuxtv kernel
patches I grabbed from cvs on Tuesday. It might help.

Looks like your problem is wrong or missing frontend.

Julian

How to get the Nebula, PCTV and Twinhan DST cards working

This class of cards has a bt878a as the PCI interface, and require the
bttv driver.

Please pay close attention to the warning about the bttv module options
below for the DST card.

==================

In general you need to load the bttv driver, which will handle the gpio
and i2c communication for us. Next you need the common dvb-bt8xx device
driver and one frontend driver.

The bttv driver will HANG YOUR SYSTEM IF YOU DO NOT SPECIFY THE
COORECT  CARD ID! A list of possible card ids can be found inside
"bttv-cards.c" inside the bttv driver package.

Pay attention to failures to load these frontends.
(E.g. dmesg, /var/log/messages).

2a) Nebula / Pinnacle PCTV
--------------------------

   $ modprobe bttv i2c_hw=1 card=0x68
   $ modprobe dvb-bt8xx

For Nebula cards use the "nxt6000" frontend driver:
   $ modprobe nxt6000

For Pinnacle PCTV cards use the "cx24110" frontend driver:
   $ modprobe cx24110

2b) TwinHan
-----------

   $ modprobe bttv i2c_hw=1 card=0x71
   $ modprobe dvb-bt8xx
   $ modprobe dst

The value 0x71 will override the PCI type detection for dvb-bt8xx,
which  is necessary for TwinHan cards.

If you're having an older card (blue color circuit) and card=0x71 locks
your machine, try using 0x68, too. If that does not work, ask on the
mailing list.

The DST module takes a couple of useful parameters, in case the dst
drivers fails to detect your type of card correctly.

dst_type takes values 0 (satellite), 1 (terrestial TV), 2 (cable).

dst_type_flags takes bit combined values:
1 = new tuner type packets. You can use this if your card is detected
    and you have debug and you continually see the tuner packets not
    working (make sure not a basic problem like dish alignment etc.)

2 = TS 204. If your card tunes OK, but the picture is terrible,
seemingly
    breaking up in one half continually, and crc fails a lot, then
    this is worth a try (or trying to turn off)

4 = has symdiv. Some cards, mostly without new tuner packets, require
    a symbol division algorithm. Doesn't apply to terrestial TV.

You can also specify a value to have the autodetected values turned off
(e.g. 0). The autodected values are determined bythe cards 'response
string' which you can see in your logs e.g.

dst_check_ci: recognize DST-MOT

or

dst_check_ci: unable to recognize DSTXCI or STXCI

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk