[Gllug] Random freezes

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jan 25 07:44:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Jack Bertram spake:
> * Joel Bernstein <joel at fysh.org> [050124 16:39]:
>> I'd suggest you buy the smallest, cheapest second-hand PC box you can
>> lay your hands on, install a barebones linux, secure it appropriately,
>> and run syslogd [in network mode] on that. If you have a spare Pentium
>> or better under the stairs gathering dust, this is the perfect use for
>> it.

I started out doing that.

Then I put a heap of daemons on it.

Then it ran the firewall.

Then because it was so cheap it died, and the rest of the local network
screamed. :/

>> Syslogd + logwatch etc won't cripple even an old 486. Your only real
>> concern is providing enough disk to hold a week or two's logs.
>
> My other home Linux box is a P200, so this would be ideal - I just
> hadn't thought it worthwhile running up the noise and electricity
> overhead just to do remote logging.

You can always use something like a hacked Soekris: I think you can
put a disk on them, and it'd still be quiet (one disk, no fan,
no *case*, nailed to the wall... :) )

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk