[Gllug] loadavg

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Jan 25 11:01:40 UTC 2005

Nix writes:

>> I also have an even weirder one, a thing called UTS, an early UNIX for
>> the IBM mainframe originally produced by Amdahl. However:
>
>Oh wow. I didn't think there were any of those left :)

Indeed. Reading that was a bit of a blast from the past. I'm half expecting
someone to crawl out of the woodwork and claim to still be running a Eunice
box now...

>Looks like UTS should join early HP-UX releases (6.0+, after they
>decided to turn it into Unix) as a `Unix for the hallucinogenically
>deprived'.

There was a quote that I can't track down at the moment that summed up
HP/UX quite well. Paraphrasing:

	People often mistake the cc command on HP/UX for a C compiler.
	Once you realise that it's simply a tool for relinking the kernel,
	and serves no other purpose, you run into far fewer problems.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk