[Gllug] loadavg

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Tue Jan 25 10:07:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 07:55:08AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Ian Northeast stated:
> > I also have an even weirder one, a thing called UTS, an early UNIX for
> > the IBM mainframe originally produced by Amdahl. However:
>
> Oh wow. I didn't think there were any of those left :)

Doesn't UTS run on the S/360 mainframe series, under VM?

I'd presume that given the relative processing power available, this
must be a serious legacy system? Or do you just keep it online as
airconditioner ballast? ;)

> > POCLUTS1: *ROOT* >uptime
> > uptime: not found
> > POCLUTS1: *ROOT* >vmstat 2
> > vmstat: not found
> >
> >:)
>
> Looks like UTS should join early HP-UX releases (6.0+, after they
> decided to turn it into Unix) as a `Unix for the hallucinogenically
> deprived'.

IIRC UTS is an early System V-based system. SVR3 maybe?

> > However, this thing really should have been retired about 10 years ago
> > but the people who have been handed the responsibility for babysitting
> > legacy apps don't have the resources to port them to something sane.
>
> And it Just Keeps Running...

Well yes. That was when they built Proper Computers ;)

That said, the new iMac G5s appearing in my office are rather shiny...

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk