[Gllug] Repairing ubuntu packages

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Tue Jan 11 08:31:18 UTC 2005

* Jan Kokoska <kokoskaj at seznam.cz> [050111 01:00]:
> Nice systematic approach but unfortunately doesn't seem to work for me
> here. Only a few more packages than would be in normal dist-upgrade,
> parent wants to reinstall everything.
>
> My approach to the very same problem earlier was:
>
> COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l | grep ^ii | awk '{print $2}' | tr '\n' ' ' | xargs
> apt-get install --reinstall -y

Ah - this is promising.  I did

dpkg --set-selection > packagelist.txt
cat packagelist.txt | xargs apt-get install --reinstall

and so far so good.  Thanks.

> parts and since the system is badly damaged some of the first list will
> fail (it thinks it has pre/post inst/rm scripts, while some of them are
> in fact garbage), so subsequent parts of the package list will not be
> installed this way until the begining gets fixed (which needs to be done
> manually anyway).

My system isn't that borked - there are just files all over the place
with random bits of other files in them :)  Fingers crossed.

> Moral of the story? Don't return to a swap-suspended system on whose
> root partition you just accidentally performed dist-upgrade from another
> kernel ;))

Ouch!  Thanks for the help

jack