[Gllug] Repairing ubuntu packages

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Tue Jan 11 11:18:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 08:31 +0000, Jack Bertram wrote:
> * Jan Kokoska <kokoskaj at seznam.cz> [050111 01:00]:

> My system isn't that borked - there are just files all over the place
> with random bits of other files in them :)  Fingers crossed.

Yes, well that is the usual "commiting journal that doesn't really apply
to this filesystem" type of corruption that I have seen (at least two
times on my machine, both related to software suspend). One was my fault
when I changed underlying fs from elsewhere and came back, the other
ocurred during battery operation where my laptop_mode script is set to
cache disk writes very aggressively.. too much in fact. I should switch
it off altogether. Usually it just kills the system, one time ext3 was
really unhappy afterwards... but hey, I can do 5 hours on this ThinkPad
R40 when it's on.. provided the system doesn't die by itself before
reaching that point ;))

And I guess I had exactly the same problem, except the files that
contained random garbage included /bin/mount, /sbin/init, /etc/passwd,
more config files, dpkg program and a number of other that I would
consider rather essential. I almost went to the dark side of
reinstallation, but not really, though it took me 4 hours to get back to
working state.

Jan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk