[Gllug] OT - Windows Freeware /ISP/ Firewall/AntiVirus etc

Mick Wilkinson mickw at mickwilkinson.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 18:55:47 UTC 2005

Off Topic
Thought I'd ask here as there seems to be a great deal of knowlede on
this list.

Some friends of mine want broadband (browsing/e-mail/web-space/Xbox
Live). They use XP and are definitley not computer geeks.
I have very little knowledge of XP.

Their need for web space is for just a single page that will be updated
infrequently.

The PC is mainly used for PC games - so there is no way I can convert
them to Linux.

Cost is of course a factor.

What I am looking for is some free software that is easy to install/use
and runs on XP. I think they will need a firewall, anti-virus and
something to deal with spam.
Also they will need parental control software (they have a 13 year old
boy). I don't have any kids so I have absolutely no knowledge of
parental control software.

Does anyone have any recommendations and or experience of these types of
packages.

I was also thinking of Pipex as the ISP (£19.99/month) - any suggestions
(no flame wars please).

Thanks

Mick

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk