[Gllug] OT - Windows Freeware /ISP/ Firewall/AntiVirus etc

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 19:21:49 UTC 2005

Mick Wilkinson wrote:

> Off Topic
> Thought I'd ask here as there seems to be a great deal of knowlede on
> this list.
>
> Their need for web space is for just a single page that will be
> updated infrequently.

Best use free/ basic commercial  hosting packages for that. Maybe even
the free space provided with most ADSL packages.

> The PC is mainly used for PC games - so there is no way I can convert
> them to Linux.

Shame. Give them a knoppix CD to use while they are waiting for you to
come round and fix their latest XP problem?

> Cost is of course a factor.
>
> What I am looking for is some free software that is easy to
> install/use and runs on XP. I think they will need a firewall,
> anti-virus and something to deal with spam.
> Also they will need parental control software (they have a 13 year old
> boy). I don't have any kids so I have absolutely no knowledge of
> parental control software.

Add to your list malware / spyware removal tools. Spybot, Adaware are
pretty good. M$ has just released a beta tool that is actually very good
and is one of the few that can heal tv-media infections. Get them using
Mozilla Firefox not IE for general web browsing to reduce this risk.

The built in firewall in XP is pretty good and free.

AVG anti virus has performed well in all my installations + is free and
doesn't contain the bloat of Symatec products.

The ISP or website host should deal with spam ** . If not the Mozilla
thunderbird is an excellent mail client with spam controls built in.
** see comments about Pipex

Net Nanny is the "name" in parental control software but I have never
needed to use it. <Puts on Asbestos suit> AOL actually offer very good
parental controls for internet access. How long *anything* is going to
stop a 13 year old boy is up for debate though.

> I was also thinking of Pipex as the ISP (£19.99/month) - any
> suggestions (no flame wars please).

Cheep, good speed, good reliability but crap support and they let loads
of SPAM through - used to report to them but gave up after several
months with no response or improvement.

Simon
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk