[Gllug] HSBC problems!

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Jan 5 17:30:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005, Tethys said:
> IIRC, most ATM networks use OS/2 (or increasingly Windows) in the
> machines themselves, and Tandem at the backend.

... while I saw a cash machine at Ikea rebooted --- and it was
definitely running Debian GNU/Linux. Quite distinctive shutdown and
startup messages flowed over the two-line-high screen, which is
seemingly /dev/console on these machines... :)

(The reboot was to try to fix what I think was probably a network
problem with the card reader: naturally, the Windows-bred `solution' of
rebooting it did no good at all.)

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk