[Gllug] Postfix and masquerading

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 19:28:27 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:34:15PM +0000, Jack Bertram wrote:
> I've recently installed Ubuntu in place of my old home-grown Linux
> system and have forgotten what setting I changed in Postfix to stop it
> rewriting the addresses of local users before sending.
>
> I used to be able to change my From address from
>
> Jack Bertram <jack at jbertram.net>

> A N Other <an at other.com>
>
> before sending in mutt, and Postfix would happily despatch it.  No
> longer - it gets changed to jack at jbertram.net.  I've googled but there
> are so many rewriting/masquerading configurations I can't quite work out
> which is the right configuration command.  Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> jack

Hi
I can send email with incorrect "From" addresses on a machine
running Postfix v1. But I don't have easy access to a machine
running Postfix v2, which is what I guess Ubuntu is using.

Anyway the usual setting that rewrites addresses in the headers
is the "canonical_maps" option - which is usually a hash file
called "canonical". Have a look at the main.cf and see if you
have anything set for "canonical_maps". Also you will need to
rebuild the hash db after editing the "canonical" text file.

|       John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com        |
| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk