[Gllug] PSU voltages

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 15:19:47 UTC 2005

From: Dylan on Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:08:52 +0000:

> I check the voltages and get: 3.28v 5.15v and 11.61v.
>
>Thing is, are these OK? Particularly, is 11.61 within tolerable range?

Well it's within 4% of 12V, so it's not that bad..

I've seen stability issues when voltages fluctuate though. The Abit BP6 dual socket 370 board was one of several infamous for voltage fluctuations due to incorrect components.

Watching for voltage changes isn't all that easy though, since the BIOS doesn't typically have a very high refresh rate on its display (typically only refreshing once per second). Using the i2c stuff in Linux and the sensors program you might get a better idea of what's going on.

The other thing to question is the accuracy of the sensors themselves - I doubt they're precisely calibrated or even particularly accurate once calibrated.

The best way to be sure of the voltages would be to use a reasonable (or even a cheapo 3 quid job) multimeter and check at the power connector on the motherboard.

Of course, it's much simpler to just swap out the PSU for another one and see if that cures your problems...
--
Russ

Sent via the WebMail system at wiss.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk