[Gllug] PSU voltages

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 23:38:21 UTC 2005

On Sun 30 Jan, Dylan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been having a little trouble with a box here and suspect a power
> supply failure. So I check the voltages and get: 3.28v 5.15v and
> 11.61v.
>
> Thing is, are these OK? Particularly, is 11.61 within tolerable range?
>
> Cheers
> Dylan

   Supply regulation is based mainly on the 5v output, and other voltages
should follow in proportion if they are loaded to the same extent because
they are mostly derived from taps on the same transformer. The 5v
supply is expected to provide a heavy current to most of the semiconductors,
and is likely to drop volts through the connections and wires, but should be
OK if it arrives clean and within reasonable tolerances. Some critical low
voltage power rails do have separate regulators, but the 12v supply is
normally relatively low current and is more likely to supply motors and
fans.
   I have had more problems with power cable splitters with poor quality
connectors, such as a loop through power take-off for an extra fan from a
hard disc drive connector.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk