[Gllug] Name server software?

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Jan 4 14:42:25 UTC 2005

Rev Simon Rumble writes:

>I was under the impression that BIND was what people used for the same
>reasons they still use Sendmail: they it know and it is well-tested and
>working (cf, "Legacy" thread also on GLLUG right now).  Are the newer
>DNS implementation truly not worth considering?  Have they not improved
>on anything?

To an extent, that's true, and was certainly the case for BIND4 and
BIND8. It's less true with BIND9, which does seem to be a decent
product. It does still hang onto the arcane configuration syntax
(at least sendmail realised that hacking sendmail.cf wasn't a good
approach, and did something about it). But in part it's been due
to a lack of viable alternatives. If you're excluding djbdns (as I
would), then until recently, you've been pretty stuck. As in the MTA
world, though, there are now quite a range to choose from, offering
varying levels of features and ease of use. Although I haven't been
keeping up to date in the field, I'd suggest looking at La Mara DNS
and I've heard good things about PowerDNS, although I haven't used
it myself.

	http://www.maradns.org
	http://www.powerdns.com

>I ask because after a short time struggling with Sendmail, I now find
>Postfix to be vastly VASTLY superior.

I suspect that to be a sign of your lack of understanding of how to
configure sendmail :-) Ease of configuration alone could be reason to
consider postfix to be superior, but in terms of features, I doubt
you'll find anything that Postfix can do that you can't also do in
sendmail. I'm equally confident in saying that the reverse isn't true...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk