[Gllug] Dvorak Keyboards and vim

Benedikt Heinen beh at icemark.net
Mon Jan 17 10:31:16 UTC 2005

>> That's OK, I already think you're a heretic and possibly insane for
>> switching *away* from the One True Editor anyway. ;)

> Emacs isn't a great editor, at least in its default state. Not intended
> as a flame, just a statement of fact -- as a tool for entering text
> into a computer, there are better options available.

Yes and no. Yes, there are better options available if you just want to
enter unformatted text (READMEs and similar files). But the default modes
for program editing are very good - IMHO, emacs does a better job at code
formatting, automatic indentations than most even very modern editors. I
have come to prefer eclipse for my java work, but emacs' standard way of
handling indentation for Java sources is still better than eclipse's.
Also, I liked the notion that emacs modes could do things for you without
you learning specific keybindings (like the smart code indentation), like
editing in tar files, ...  True, if you want to do something that the mode
author didn't think was a good option, you might be in limbo trying to
figure out how to do that, but for most uses I like this way of handling
things.

   Benedikt

--
 	It seems I think I am, therefore it seems I am, I think!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk