[Gllug] OT: Unwanted email

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Jan 31 15:51:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Simon Wiehe wrote:
> d) bounce anything that is not sent to a named email address (turn off the
> default mailbox)

This will reduce it by an order of magnitude on its own.

If you can implement greylisting (i.e., return a temporary failure for
the first mail from a given (user * IP) combination), it'll reduce spam
by another order of magnitude, while having essentially no effect on
legitimate mail.

(I don't do it because I *want* spam. I'm even holding on to an old
and rather expensive Demon account for exactly that purpose.)

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk