[Gllug] RE: Gllug Digest, Vol 19, Issue 75

David Abbishaw David at Abbishaw.com
Mon Jan 31 20:26:39 UTC 2005

I have been bouncing it back as unknown, unfortunately this seems to clog up
the queue and the badmail folder and so far doesn't appear to have reduced
the incoming mail that much.  For anything that's on the SPF list I don't
bother generating an NDR as it wont get there.

Why do you want the spam?

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Simon Wiehe wrote:
> d) bounce anything that is not sent to a named email address (turn off the
> default mailbox)

This will reduce it by an order of magnitude on its own.

If you can implement greylisting (i.e., return a temporary failure for
the first mail from a given (user * IP) combination), it'll reduce spam
by another order of magnitude, while having essentially no effect on
legitimate mail.

(I don't do it because I *want* spam. I'm even holding on to an old
and rather expensive Demon account for exactly that purpose.)

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk