[Gllug] PSU voltages

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sun Jan 30 15:52:27 UTC 2005

On Sunday 30 Jan 2005 15:19 pm, Russell Howe wrote:
> From: Dylan on Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:08:52 +0000:
> > I check the voltages and get: 3.28v 5.15v and 11.61v.
> >
> >Thing is, are these OK? Particularly, is 11.61 within tolerable
> > range?
>
> Well it's within 4% of 12V, so it's not that bad..

The machine was heavily loaded with drives when it started acting up,
now that I've swapped some of them into another box it's running fine
at the moment. I expect the low voltage would be more of an issue as
the box was more heavily loaded.

> I've seen stability issues when voltages fluctuate though. The Abit
> BP6 dual socket 370 board was one of several infamous for voltage
> fluctuations due to incorrect components.
>
> Watching for voltage changes isn't all that easy though, since the
> BIOS doesn't typically have a very high refresh rate on its display
> (typically only refreshing once per second). Using the i2c stuff in
> Linux and the sensors program you might get a better idea of what's
> going on.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any sensors on the board :x

> The other thing to question is the accuracy of the sensors themselves
> - I doubt they're precisely calibrated or even particularly accurate
> once calibrated.
>
> The best way to be sure of the voltages would be to use a reasonable
> (or even a cheapo 3 quid job) multimeter and check at the power
> connector on the motherboard.

I got a dummy load from maplin and checked with a decent consumer
multimeter - I'm not really up for poking probes onto the MB.

> Of course, it's much simpler to just swap out the PSU for another one
> and see if that cures your problems... --

Indeed, but much less learning involved...

Cheers
Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"