[Gllug] PSU voltages

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Jan 31 07:49:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Russell Howe wrote:
> Watching for voltage changes isn't all that easy though, since the
> BIOS doesn't typically have a very high refresh rate on its display
> (typically only refreshing once per second). Using the i2c stuff in
> Linux and the sensors program you might get a better idea of what's
> going on.
>
> The other thing to question is the accuracy of the sensors themselves
> - I doubt they're precisely calibrated or even particularly accurate
> once calibrated.

Quite so. I mean, I've just got lm-sensors working on one of my boxes
(after a long period when it oopsed on insmod), and, well, I just
don't believe these figures:

lm78-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore 1:   +2.83 V  (min =  +3.33 V, max =  +3.68 V)   ALARM
VCore 2:   +2.83 V  (min =  +3.33 V, max =  +3.68 V)   ALARM

All the other voltage figures are well within expected ranges (not that
it's clear to me where lm-sensors is getting those VCore figures from:
well, obviously sensors.conf, but why those values?); half a volt low
seems an awful lot...

> Of course, it's much simpler to just swap out the PSU for another one
> and see if that cures your problems...

I did that half a year ago (old PSU had no working fan anymore and
the machine was overheating drastically).

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk