[Gllug] Novell abandoning SuSE customers?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jan 4 16:47:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 22:54 +0100, Christopher Currie wrote:
[snip]
> There is no explanation of the difference
> between the 'professional' and professional upgrade versions.
> The blurb is exactly the same for both. A customer who knows that
> you often have to reinstall will not be able to guess which to buy.

The last time I was selling SuSE Linux the only difference between the
two was that the "upgrade" version lacked one of the manuals.  The CDs
and DVDs in the two boxes were identical.  I don't know whether that's
still the case but it may well be.  My take on SuSE's marketing strategy
was that existing users would tend to buy the upgrade (at a lower price)
whilst new users would assume they needed the full version.  If anyone
asked me, I always advised them to buy the upgrade.

Why not go to a knowledgeable supplier (e.g. Steve at The Linux Emporium
</blatant plug>) and ask him?

John

--
John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>