[Gllug] Random freezes

Caparo caparo at saltmine.org.uk
Mon Jan 24 08:13:46 UTC 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 23:50, Jack Bertram wrote:
> My main home Linux box used to run reliably (unless I rebooted it, it
> would run essentially without fault with max uptimes of over a year).
> However, increasing filesystem corruption and failure of boot scripts
> meant that I took the decision to replace it with a fresh install of
> Ubuntu.  Since then, it has begun to intermittently freeze.  Sometimes
> this is preceded by the root filesystem becoming readonly.  Nothing is
> written to the syslog so I haven't the foggiest how to trace the error.
> It's now running kernel 2.6.8 (ubuntu standard) whereas before I was on
> 2.4.20.
>
> Any ideas how to chase this down?  The freezes (both console, X and
> network) seem to happen randomly from a couple of days after reboot to 4
> days after reboot.

I have the same problem here but on a Mepis box ran fine on Mandrake 9.2 from
the day I built it (about a week after M9.2 came out). Now it keeps freezing
& is very jerky in graphics. This on a savage4 card using savage driver 1024
x 768 24bpp this was fine under 2.4.? but this new system is 2.6 .
 Again I cannot find a log that shows any problem.
--
TTFN
 Caparo
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk