[Gllug] Random freezes

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Jan 24 10:31:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Martin A. Brooks uttered the following:
> Jack Bertram wrote:
>
>>Ubuntu.  Since then, it has begun to intermittently freeze.  Sometimes
>>this is preceded by the root filesystem becoming readonly.
>
> Take a look at /etc/fstab and you'll most likely see that your entry
> for / contains "errors=remount-ro".  From what you've described it
> sounds like you have file system corruption.

If you log over the network as well as locally, you'll get messages
logged about this on the remote logging machine. :)

(I log kernel messages locally and remotely, so that if the network
implodes due to a kernel bug I still get info about the bug logged.
Everything else goes to the remote loghost only.)

`dmesg' might show you interesting things after such an event
(before rebooting, of course).

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk