[Gllug] Biitorrent for a dummy

Jan Kokoska jan.kokoska at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 23:20:36 UTC 2005

In my experience, on 2.4 kernels an average load of 20 with some
relatively light-weight processes such as mysql db was relatively fine
(300 queries per second).. in case of apache reaching the above
mentioned load of 60-80, the machines were pretty much dead (this was
the point to kill -9 and pray)... dual Xeons, the usual makes.
Preemption patches and 2.6 (with integrated preemption, greater
default scheduling frequency 100->1000 Hz and adaptive schedulers)
have undoubtedly improved it, but to which extent, I wouldn't know
precisely, since I don't work with so heavily loaded machines anymore.

It matters much *what* is creating this load, I would still feel
pretty safe about a mailserver running qmail for instance, with that
load (have seen it before, though it was not my machine to take care
of).

Jan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk