[Gllug] Biitorrent for a dummy

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Sun Jan 23 23:00:13 UTC 2005

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>That's not heavily loaded.  The front end web servers for The Guardian
>routinely have load averages of 70-80.  Elsewhere, one server I ran
>would get up to a load of 300 or more during peak times.

That's nothing to be proud of. It's a sign that they're not performing
proper capacity planning. Either that or they're using Solaris, which
has a bug in its load average calculations, which causes it to report
unrealistically high load averages in some circumstances. One of our
mailservers once hit a claimed load average of over 8000 -- yes, it
was responding very slowly, but not as slowly as a box with a load
average of 8000 should (i.e., essentially nto at all).

For comparison, we have a fairly busy site (handling about a third as
much traffic as the Guardian acording to Alexa), and our load average
rarely goes above 2 or 3, and then that's mostly due to decisions made
that I can do nothng about (the choice to use servlets, for example).

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk