[Gllug] Anyone know anything about hardware ?

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Mon Jan 24 16:42:12 UTC 2005

Wiehe, Simon wrote:

> they also state that under no circumstances should I attempt to replace the controller board as this store drive characteristics and will cause a drive failure and lose my data.

What would be stored in the controller board?  Geometry & heads &
platters, so if there was a variant of the drive that didn't have the
chip fault these should be the same.  The other thing would be the list
of bad blocks that have been remapped around, which is more of a
problem.  Even if you don't write to the drive, you would not be
guaranteed that you were reading the right physical sector for the
logical sector requested.  I don't know what percentage of the blocks
would be remapped.

My take:  If the data is worth it, pay the £400.  If not, toss the
drive.  Or keep it if you like logical puzzles and have time on your hands.

Alan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk