[Gllug] Name server software?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 13:05:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 12:50:57PM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I've come to that point in my evolution to sysadmin that I must get to
> grips with DNS.  I've put this off for a long time because it always
> seemed so damn arcane and complicated.  Now is the time.
>
> So, which name server software should I use?  It needs to be free
> software (so no DJB-ware) and support wildcard domain names.

Follow the crowd: Bind-9

> And references for where to learn what I need to know?

There is an O'Reilley book, my copy is a bit old but it might have been updated.
I find the documentation that comes with bind complete (in that it tells you what
things do) but doesn't explain why or how you need to put things together.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Sign the "Thank you, Poland!"  http://thankpoland.info/