[Gllug] New home linux system

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Jan 25 14:23:54 UTC 2005

.

> Is the Matrox G400 still the card to get?  Or is 2D performance so good
> on even cheap 3D cards now that I don't need to worry?
>
> On a related note, is anyone on GLLUG doing their own TiVO-esque Linux
> stuff.  (I remember reading about this recently on AnandTech - MythTV
> seems to be the thing of choice).  How well does it work in the UK?
>
> cheers,
> jack

Hi Jack,
	I run mythtv with an nVidia card for TV out

It works really well - in fact I lose touch with live TV these days

I have a DVB card which gives me the freeview channels in great quality
- they are saved as the arrive in MPEG2 format so the file size is quite
large and compressing to MPEG4 is apparently tricky to get right but I
haven't tried it yet.

(I had to get the latest v4l patches to get my card working)

The web interface to program listings & recording schedules is really
easy to use.

The advert zapping feature doesn't work too well but it's still easy to
skip through the ads.

It did take some setting up (the cvs version seems to have some auto
setup stuff now)

I was tempted by the hard disk recorders now available commercially but
according to reviews these are still buggy and the tv guide transmited
on the DVB signal is incomplete for some channels.

In the end I decided that MythTV has a feature set that isn't even
nearly matched elsewhere ...

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk