[Gllug] New home linux system

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue Jan 25 10:35:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 04:31:45PM +0000, Jack Bertram wrote:
> If (as referred in separate post) I replace my main home system, a
> 433Mhz Celeron running a 440BX mainboard with TNT2 graphics, then are
> there any programs on Linux that really use 3D cards?  Or am I better
> off getting a good 2D graphics card?  I'd like to be able to drive two
> monitors (LCDs, probably) and easily plug into a TV as well.
>
> Is the Matrox G400 still the card to get?  Or is 2D performance so good
> on even cheap 3D cards now that I don't need to worry?

Hi,

the TNT2 card should work for most stuff, you dont really need to consider 3d
on that card (which 'is' possible) unless you want to play quake3 or later on
this machine.

dual screens is pretty easy, but you wont be able to use 'any' 3d hardware if
you want the two screens to act as one (xinerama), most pci/agp cards will do
a fairly good job in xinerama mode

> On a related note, is anyone on GLLUG doing their own TiVO-esque Linux
> stuff.  (I remember reading about this recently on AnandTech - MythTV
> seems to be the thing of choice).  How well does it work in the UK?

have a look a FreeVo, last time a looked it was going well,

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk